Next up in our TP-Link home automation series are TP-Link Smart WiFi Plugs. Smart plugs are tiny Wi-Fi enabled boxes that plug into the regular plug wall outlet and then you simply attach the device you wish to automate. There are some unique and awesome benefits to these little wonders that can save you a lot of time, as well as add a lot of safety to your life.
Let’s get started!
Which Models are Available?
There are three models of TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plugs – the HS 100, HS110 and the HS105. All will offer you great smart home automation functionality, but they have a few small differences. The HS100 is a smart plug like we have discussed here. It does not have energy monitoring. You won’t be able to check how long it has been used and how much energy it is costing for example – otherwise, it does all the other features. The HS110 is the larger smart plug and included energy monitoring. The HS105 is half the size of the HS100 and HS110. It will only take up half of your plug. It also includes energy monitoring. This is great if you have a busy outlet and need to maximize space while still having smart features.
What can I do with a TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug?
More and more devices come with built-in schedulers already – but many of the things you already own may not. Like your coffee maker. Simply plug your non-scheduling Coffee Maker into the smart plug, Make sure it is all set up the night before, and finally just set the schedule for your morning coffee in the Kasa app. Simple enough but what about some other breakfast options?
How To Install TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug
Installation on these is even easier than the smart bulb. It took me longer to unpack the box than it did to get the smart plug set up.
- Simply download the Kasa app (if you haven’t already) to your mobile phone – Both Android and iPhone are options.
- Plug the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug into a regular power outlet.
- Set up is finished by using the plus sign in the top right of the Kasa app. Give it your new smart plug a name, select an Icon and Boom. All done.
3 simple steps to get everything going.
An Easier Morning Routine with TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plugs
Getting ready in the morning can take some time, especially for those non-morning people. You’ll be surprised how much more time you can have in your mornings by setting up some simple home automation with the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug. Let’s start by setting up your toaster on a TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug and putting in the bread the night before ready to go. Have the scheduler turn it on in the morning, a few minutes before your alarm goes off to wake up to the smell of fresh warm toast. Some coffee makers might have schedulers, but most electric kettles do not. If you prefer waking up to tea or coffee that uses kettle hot water – The TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug has you covered.
While you are getting dressed, the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug can start up your curling iron or flat iron in the bathroom for you. Now when you step into the bathroom – Say hello to immediately ready to go hair styling! Just make sure that your curling iron is the type that comes on immediately when plugged in and you are all set. A super great benefit to the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug as well is, if you left the house in a rush and can’t recall if you shut that iron off? Don’t worry. Just check in the app to see what is on and what is not. A simple button push can turn these items off and make sure your house is safe and sound.
5 Neat Things You Can Do With TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug
- Under the counter LED lighting is simple enough to set up with this. A string of LED lights can be purchased at any home hardware store and added under the counter. Alexa voice commands will have you lite up and ready to cook without any extra wiring.
- Christmas Tree and Decorating lights, when used with smart plugs, are a breeze. Don’t deal with any complicated timers and see exactly how much the extra lights are costing you.
- Smart Plugs also works for any of those lamps you might have in your house that do not have changeable light bulbs. Or perhaps you have a light that needs a different wattage than the Smart TP-Link Smart Bulb can provide.
- Easily turn on a child’s lamp from your phone so they can head upstairs without it being dark – giving you extra time to finish cleaning up dinner.
- Electric Blankets can be warmed up remotely before you get into bed. A toasty warm place to snuggle into with the push of a button.
If you are curious about getting started into the world of home automation – but you don’t want to break the bank – TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug are a really great place to start. You can purchase all the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug from Best Buy.ca the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug With Energy monitoring HS110 for $39.95 , A TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug Slim HS105 for $44.90, or get 2 HS100 in a special kit for $49.99