Guys! It is finally here. I have been following VR forever. I couldn’t wait for the day that the technology got up to mainstream usage and price points. So should you buy The Oculus Quest 2?
If you are new to VR, yes. You’ve been waiting to break into the field .. then this is the headset for you. If you are not new to VR and you have an older Oculus Rift hanging around, should you purchase the Quest 2? More than likely the answer is also yes for you. The Quest 2 offers a price point that is rather cheap. $299USD. Less than a third of the price of most of the phones in your pocket. But the cost isn’t everything.
Frequently Asked Question Oculus Quest 2 Post Series
I have created a series of posts that are featured around frequently asked questions about the Oculus Quest 2. Please check them out!
Which Size Oculus Quest 2 Do You Need? 64GB or 256GB
Must Have Popular VR Oculus Quest 2 Games
Is VR Safe For Kids? Can Kids Use the Oculus Quest 2 VR?
How to Install Virtual Desktop on your Oculus Quest 2 and Play SteamVR Wirelessly
How to install PlaySpace Mover for any SteamVR Game and use with Oculus Quest 2
10 Tips on How To Stop Motion Sickness In VR
How To Cast Oculus Quest 2 VR to TV, Computer, Phone and Mixed Reality
Why Does Your Phone Blink in Oculus Quest 2 Passthrough Mode?
What features do we get with the Quest 2?
Well, first of all, gone are the days of having to have little box cameras set up all over your house. The Quest 2 has room tracking cameras built right into the thing. Easy peasy. Once the headset is on you need to draw a line on the floor and say, this is my play area. The Quest 2 will then use the virtual boundary you set up as your walls. Amazing! There is also an option for stationary boundary and you can play sitting in a chair.
You also don’t need some crazy top of the line computer. The Quest 2 has all the technology built right into its headset so you can play games if you are an Apple guy, or if your computer/laptop is a little older. No problem!
The Quest 2 DOES require you to sync up with your Facebook account, so some people may not like that. They may want to keep their VR and Facebook life different, but there is a reason that this hardware is cheap as it is. Part of that reason is you are sharing information with Facebook. You are the product remember.
These are some amazing features at a $299USD starting price point.
What is the hardware of the Quest 2?
Oculus Quest 2 Specifications:
- Product Dimensions: 191.5 mm x 102 mm x 142.5 mm (strap folded in), 191.5 mm x102 mm x 295.5 mm (strap fully opened up)
- Product Weight: 503g
- Tracking: Supports 6 degrees of freedom head and hand tracking through integrated Oculus Insight technology.
- Storage: 64GB or 256GB
- Display Panel: Fast-switch LCD
- Display Resolution: 1832×1920 per eye
- Display Refresh: 72Hz at launch; 90Hz support to come
- SoC: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ XR2 Platform
- Audio: Integrated speakers and microphone; also compatible with 3.5mm headphones.
- RAM: 6GB
- Battery Life: You can expect between 2-3 hours based on the kind of content you’re using on Quest 2; closer to 2 hours if you’re playing games and closer to 3 hours if you’re watching media. At any point, you can check the battery status of your headset in the Oculus App settings or in VR via Oculus Home.
- Charge Time: With the provided USB-C power adapter, Quest 2 will charge to a full battery in about 2.5 hours.
- IPD: Adjustable IPD with three settings for 58, 63 and 68mm.
- Playspace: Stationary or Roomscale supported. Roomscale requires a minimum of 6.5feet x 6.5 feet of obstruction-free floor space.
- Dimensions: 9 x 12cm (per controller, includes tracking ring)
- Weight: 126g (per controller, no battery installed)
- Requires 2AA batteries (included in the box; 1 for each controller)
Final thoughts on Should you buy the Quest 2?
We are going to dive into reviewing this product some more and updating this post with more details as we play through it. In the meantime, if you are looking to get into VR this is the time to do so, before the Oculus Quest 2 sells out, which it is sure to do before the holiday season.
Thanks! You had me at $299.