New to Google Plus? Not quite sure you 'get it' yet? Use other networks like Twitter or Facebook? Make a commitment to spend 15 minutes that you would spend on those sites, here on Gplus for 2 weeks. In those 15 minutes do these following 4 steps. Anyone who actually does these things will love it here and can never say "it's dead". Try it. I Dare you.
1. Create Yourself – Fully Complete your Profile. Post a photo of yourself, people like talking to other people. Decide which interests you would like to focus on, on G+. Pick some Hobbies, Work, General Categories etc. Think things like Photography, Geek, Tech, Android Fan, Tv shows you like, Your Career(Real estate agent, Tech Support, Business Owner), Art, Gaming, Wine Lover, Cat person Or the City You Live In. People can quickly scan and determain that you might have some stuff in common and then easily circle you back. Spend a few moments on this. Seriously.
2. Create Public Posts Often – Those interests you picked in Step 1? Post about them daily. Make sure the post are Public and not limited to your circles, otherwise no one will see it. Find interesting articles to share, you tube videos, pictures and make posts about them. Make sure some is 'your own' not just reshares of others. Use pictures. Google Images is a good source. G+ likes pictures.
3. Follow Others – Find other people who have similar interest as you and circle them first. Go up to the search bar and type in those interests you picked in step 1. Game of thrones, Web development, wine, zombies, Michael Jackson. People here are fans and they are talking about it. Circle up at least 500 People. 1000 is still golden. Look for some circle shares to add groups of people easily. There are tons of circle shared linked in my profiles about section(http://goo.gl/eFcal). These people you are circling will likely all be strangers. Get over that. You do NOT need to know people in real life to talk about Iphones or Cooking, but you can have a great conversation. Perhaps even better than with local 'real life friends'. Try it.
4. Engage others – Go up and down your stream right now and Reshare neat things, comment, click the link, read the story, comment on other peoples comments or mention others who might like that post. +1s generally mean you read it and agree. Do that too.. but most prefer to you to comment on their post in some way. Try and make comments better than "lol" but engage other people in some way. Remember to mute the post if the conversation is not interesting to you anymore with the drop down arrow at the top right of every post.
Rinse and Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 daily for best results. This will take some time to get started, but its fun. But do it regularly with those 15 minutes and You can make connections that will completely change your life. Google Plus is a truly amazing website if you follow these steps. Make it yours.
*The people who tend to not 'get' Google Plus*
1) Don't have a completed public profile
2) Post once every 2 weeks (what would your Twitter look like if you tweeted once every 2 weeks?) You don't need to stop using the other sites you use, but you DO need to spend some time here, regularly.
3) Broadcast only – Never talk to anyone else here and expect people to be clicking their stories and commenting on their stuff when there is a HUGE stream of information going by.
Gplus is VERY give and take. Spend a few moments developing relationships with the above steps and you WILL have people visiting your blog without you asking/self promoting. Promise.
Please share with your circles and new friends on G+.
I get it.
Reshared, great post 🙂
I'm still learning, we all are because it's constantly changing.
5. Don't treat it like Facebook. Don't be offended if someone who you don't know follows you. It's part of the thing
Great article +Amanda Blain . I am sharing this gem. 🙂
Amanda. You Queen Google Plus 4.0 undisputed. Google's most popular. You are a princess of Canada and Toronto
My whole family is on it and everyone loves it. It's really a matter of spending a little time on it. I'm hoping more friends will join in.
Excellent post +Amanda Blain 🙂 Will share this!
Thank you thank you… Reshared!
Ty!!! Great post for ALL!! 🙂
This great. I´m here since about 2 weeks, and reduced my facebook to 5 minutes/day. It´s simply more interessting on google+ and definitly a better place for me. I spend a lot of time here.
Time to step up the game a notch…while being here even longer I feel like I could start branching out more. I did add your musicians circle, but quickly left it because it filled my stream with too many new people and was confusing. So, I guess this time around I could add a few here and there to understand who they are and not just jump head first into a scary moshpit of people. (they wasn't scary, but the stream was)
Well said message +Amanda Blain about Google Plus. In my personal opinion, Google plus is far superior to Face Book but then again this is my opinion.
Love it, reshare it
Re-shared your post 🙂
I've done very well on here, even if I don't have a huge amount of followers people with huge followings interact with me regularly
Thats the point i like stressing to 'others'… No need to GIVE UP Facebook or Twitter… just spend some time daily here. Those who give it a go I find tend to make a post once every 2 weeks and say.. "It's not working Amanda"… Regular interactions here are important.
+Amanda Blain I have to agree I interact on others posts and always try to reply to comments on my photography etc, furthermore I run my own page, help run another and also help people out on here and run interactive things on here I'm doing rather well thank you very much! 🙂
Good job +Amanda Blain 🙂
Thanks +Amanda Blain I'll spread the word!
Cant search anymore since the "upgrade" on the iPad
+Amanda Blain pm me please
Well said! Be authentic, engage, discover, explore 😀 So much is possible 🙂
Very damn true. It's one of those lesser known social networking sites. Hell, Facebook and Twitter copy off of it!
Best advice for newbies there is, and very very well stated.
All good stuff +Amanda Blain!
Someday my real posts will hit what's hot… 🙂
Way to be Amanda. Great share.
Cultivate your stream.
What you are doing is configuring a flow of information that interests you.
We have all been at the mercy of mass media and what they choose to feed us. This changes everything. Now you are in charge of the information you fill your consciousness with.
There are a lot of awesome people that populate G+. Millions of them that cover every interest
It's too late, I've given it all up for G+!
Nice post Amanda – found this via – only thing I'd add is to state that G+ is all about the giving as in I as an individual have to give of my time to comment intelligently on others posts to get any return.
and +Amanda Blain excellent post!!
Good advice as always, Amanda.
+Amanda Blain You are awesome.
Excellent points +Amanda Blain . Also always remember to engage, engage, and engage some more.
my tagline is -Engage Engage Engage!!
solid stuff as always.
I was just going to +1 but then thought I'd better make the effort.
hi amanda,u're a genius.
Thanks for the tips. I'm trying!
is there any FAQs or smth? At least for me its not an User friendly interface cause i cant replace/move some suggested things (as for example i cant link direct links to my interested songs/artists/artist chanels etc… so im looking forward for some faqs about organizing it at all 😉 Sorry for my english. It isnt my native so forgive if got some mistakes and so on 😉
Nice, thank you very much! I just reactivated my G+ account last week because I wanted to leave Flickr somewhere. I wish I would have stumbled upon that (or a similar) post then, instead I "had to" work those things out myself. But I still feel I get G+ better after reading it now.
I'm learning…. gradually… I'll get there..
Tolles Bild .
Solid advice! If I could offer one more suggestion: Bacon. Greatness will happen. Plus all the stuff Amanda said.
No need to apologize for your broken English. That tells me you speak at least 1 more language than I do.
Thanks Amanda,You have pointed out with explanation of something I should already be understanding but haven't as yet.Good on You !
Avoid public posts. Unless you are already a celebrity most people only want to hear about a few things from you.
The most potent part about Google + is circles. You post politics to those who want to hear your politics, you post about your family life to your family, about work to your co-workers, about fitness to those involved in fitness and Polynesian naval history to fellow buffs of those fields.
Otherwise you end up Facebook where you are flooded with news about your Aunt's political ravings, you bosses kid's bowel movements, and new dieting fads you care zip about.
With circles you can filter incoming content as well, but only if others do the same diligence in posting the right content to the right circles. People who post everything public tend to either get uncircled, or more commonly moved into a circle that doesn't show incoming posts (meaning they will spam you, but never see anything you say).
Have a very obvious "about" section, and have a public post asking others what they would like to hear about rather than assuming everyone is interested in everything.